Thursday, September 10, 2026

Helmet ...

(Theme: August rush/Impatience. This story is all true, events from Monday - Thursday) - 2023 August 24


My therapist tells me
That maybe I shouldn’t rush
Into the next relationship.
Like he knows me so well.

My three closest friends
Also tell me that I need
To slow down, not get lost
Launching into the next—

          Feeling loved and irritated
          Distracts me from lunch,
          So I people-watch: wrrrrrRRR...  here comes
          A college kid on a battery-powered skateboard.

                  So fast,” I think, chewing while
                    I admire his thick blonde hair flapping,
                    Body canted forward like a bowsprit,
                    Eyes squinting against the breeze.

                              He passes me. “___Ohhhh!! … SHIT.” I hear
                              A chorus of young college dudes behind me,
                              Then turn to see, along the street,
                                        A white shoe…
                                          A palm-sized remote…
                                             An orange-wheeled board 
                                                        slowly rolling to a standstill…
                              But he’s not on the board, 
                              nor the street, 
                                                     anymore.

                    He’s trying to walk, grabbing his head,
                    Falling at a dizzy flail into a locked bike instead,
                    Before succumbing to his limits
                    And sitting on the spinning cement.

She tells me I should delete dating apps.
          And what?    Go to a sports bar?    or line-dancing?—   No.
He says 
You punish yourself with partners.”
        She pops in 
You’ve too much empathy for people who hurt you.”

                    A homeless wizard kicks his skateboard toward the road curb.
                    A black ponytail brings over his jettisoned shoe.
                    The bike police come, and call the van police.
                    I walk over, too, after I finish lunch.

She doesn’t just say “You did this to yourself,” so I listen:
          Go slow and easy,   before screwing your two worlds    together.”
My therapist makes it a prescription: 
          When a boundary comes up,
             See how they respond—First—as a buffer 
                 between you being together and partnership.”

Like a helmet.

                    He’s still grabbing his head. 
          That was a hard crash,” I say.
                              I can’t really Hear you,” pointing to his right ear,
                                  I hit my head hard. 
                                      They’re taking me to ER.”
          Take care of yourself,” I wave; 
          he waves back, eyes squinting between his pain.

                    He’s not okay… brain-walls swelling 3 
weeks before school 
                    starts.

I can’t hear you,” was also me to my friends, 
          3 weeks before that crashing 
                    heart.

She says I always go head-first, 
every love like an August rush.
So I’m tightening a thick-strap head-pad—
  since the ground 
     likes to kiss me 
                        so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment