Sunday, July 8, 2012

:) ...




                                                                      “No” comes like a push.
                                                    The kindest ones won't push you back,
                                                                          If you've been sweet.
                                                         They'll try to save your face;
                                     They let you fall down into space –

                                   Like “maybe next week?”
                             Or “Sorry, I have plans,”
                 Or “Tonight's a laundry night,”
                   Or “I may be getting a flu –
                  I'll let you know.” They step
                         Away every time you step
                           In, until you turn – and go.

                                     & if you don't like falling,
                                         You'll have to hand her
                              Something to place in your ear –
                                      shaped like a non-push
                                         but pushing-clear:

                     Like “Just so you know,
               I'm softer past this rind.
 But if you'd rather keep your
Nails clean, I understand:
Send me a smile, and I'll
Use this door. Glad to have
Met you.” Beyond her , there's more

To make your own smile rise,
To make you feel rooted
In your heart again...
She'll :)smile:) soon. ;)wink;) back apace:
She's sweet – she won't enjoy hitting your face.

1 comment:

  1. (In case you're wondering about the imagery - I'm a believer in closure rituals. The only thing we ever did was go for a run, so I ran her off: ran from RAT beach to 22nd street in Hermosa, through the Friday night drinkers and dogs and kids on bikes ... and then home again. Just me and my feet - and a pair of shorts - in the warm summer wind.

    She was the wind before me, then the wind behind me. Onward.

    ReplyDelete