Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Coming down ...



                                                                  London Bridge
                                                     With a cold
                                               The railroad track
                                            The mountain

                                         To my level
                                          From a high
                                           The wall
                                               The water fountain

                                                            The itsy-bitsy spider
                                                                      The shit-storm
                                                                          Bitter rain

                                                  Off a high horse
                                       What goes up
                                    must (we know) again

                                          Like a bolt
                                               Hard and fast

                                                           With my foot
                                                     “Thou shalt not pass”

                                                      A castle on sand

                                     An aisle, hand-in-hand

3 comments:

  1. * Thanks, Julie P. (squished witch, headlights, searchlight, trashcan rainbow, wedding train), David K. (rail tracks, cobbled road, stone tunnel) Abel T. (punch torrent), Julie A-G (jellyfish), & Katharina Salzbrunn / the whydochildrensteal blog (rectangle division) for making this collage full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm getting a stomach flu, time to collect downward directional metaphors in a bucket … because you know I'm not really “coming down” with the flu. I'm just sitting here while it's spreading through.

    [yes, you can read in that this is also a comment about the marriage equality decision that the supreme court is still dicking around on. But honestly, I didn't see that opening until I was writing the last two lines ... though, when I saw it, I came down on it hard and fast] – 3 April 2013

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry if this is a weird way to start off, but while I was reading your poem I was listening to the soundtrack from How to Train Your Dragon, which made me reflect on the cyclical nature of life and the ups and downs that it takes. From what I saw in your poem the harsh realities of life are coupled with the fantasies that we all indulge in. The references to Lord of The Rings gives it an element of fantasy at the end, but also makes me think of the gate keeper at purgatory waiting for judgment. To me the flowing nature of the poem as well as the duality in its images are meant to remind us that life goes on no matter what, like a creek or a dragon in flight, but even when we're at our peak and we get nocked down, the ones you love are waiting at the end.

    Thank you so much for posting and I really enjoyed your work

    Nick D

    ReplyDelete