Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Repeats ...




I wish I knew who was visiting.
They never say hello.
They walk by, silent behind the glass:
They see us, but never know

          The way my fur feels on their hands;
          The way my breath sounds, close;
          The pattern that my eyes might trace
          On a face, on hair, on clothes.

No one comes in but my roommates,
And I'm not mysterious to them,
So they don't ask questions; we share the swing
In silence. We claw the hem

          Of our walls while you tip-toe past us,
          A hundred (over days),
          A thousand (or more: I'm re-counting you
          Who come back, slightly amazed

That we move, alive – distant and mystic –
Over years). But yet, we're less
than five when the landlord visits
To core a drain or patch the scarred mess

          We left in the corner, less than
          Four otherwise. And still
          Our pen could be a playground of pulses if
          Someone jumped over the sill.

2 comments:

  1. For the zoo bears, uncuddled – and me, who doesn't know the population visiting my blog because they only ever quietly wander through.

    Say Hi! The internet is such a vast and lone-seeming cage. Mark your territory :)

    *Thanks to Megan (the butterfly girl), Aaron (the wall-vaulters), Krista (the foot circle), Todd (red bear), Jonathan (brown bear & hummingbirds), and IM_sirreal_14 (cat bear - forgot where I found this, but it's a striking pose, yeah?) for filling out this collage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josh! I visited your blog once when I first saw you post about it on Facebook and once today (again prompted by a FB post). There's a lot more here than when I first visited. Your poetry is enthralling and moving. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete