Sunday, January 3, 2016

The birth of empathy...




I'm
Hungrier      than
boredom,    sitting   here
in the   store    room.    The
bleach is leaking somewhere
in the corner,  thanks  to   a
negligent  teenage   clock-
watcher – either the guy
(who   I   just  hate ),
with a  “beard”
like the
dust in this
unswept     corner
or  The     girl   (who   I
hate   but   ogle,   because
her lazy body is still velvet-
skinned with early-twenties
non-decay   –    that   she'll
drink away,   in   splashes
between bong breaths,
while   tickling
that guy's
baby- hair   chin
whisps – but for now,
she still   looks  cherry)
with   breast-  tops    like
half- baked    bread   rolls
rising      and         falling
softly    behind       her
cardboard  castle  of
cans & cellophane
something-or-
others.

“Hey man,” he says. From the left.
“John!” she says.         From the right
(She looks to his eyes; he looks to her eyes;
I look to her breasts – she smiles at him, in the blur,
sucking at the space between her thumb & pointer finger a
joint, which is make-believe). She coughs on the dust
(which   is   real  ).           He   grabs    his    broom
(useless to him as a dream- joint). “Just wanted
to say congrats.”    Which   he       means,
in a thoughtless way; his eyes say so.
They go  from  me
to a wall I seldom look up to see:
EMPLOYEE   OF   THE   MONTH...
And there's my face from three months ago*
When I was     looking past    a shitty plastic camera,
past a manager's   poor   aesthetic  insights,
to a Lathem  time-clock  machine.*
“Punch in; punch out – we're
a twenty minute bike
ride to your
campus!”
(This store became
my campus: the lion-share
of my course load, the most profound
life lesson –    as my time   turns into   money,
my money into Community College
credits, my credits into a degree;
just another time-card.)

“Employee of
the month, dude.
You should come
celebrate with
us behind the
dumpster –
at 4:20.”
“Right.
Thanks,
John. You
two keep pretty
punctual with that.”
“Hah!   Right, man.
You're okay.” I look
at the picture; he
walks her way.
There it is,
off-center
in a frame,
The man I am
(I hate him too;
I hate us all
the same).

No comments:

Post a Comment