Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Killer comes home ...



      I'll lie to you
    because I love you too
      much to brush off your disapproval
    as I've made a mistake again;
  I resolve to tell you
  nothing – because
   we circulate.

                        I'll hold
                      to saying my day
                          was “fine” and show you
                     that you're beautiful,
                    and fine, so right
                       for me;

       I refuse
      to burden your
          good grace with my
       mechanical
        twitch.

                         “What's
                            wrong?” Oh, just
                           an itch.

                  Just
                   {scritch-
                  ch}.

2 comments:

  1. The repetition of dishonesty leads a relationship to become mechanical and unnatural. The speaker says, “I'll lie to you/because I love you too/much to brush off your disapproval/as I've made a mistake again” (1-4). Through the speaker’s explanation, it is clear that a mistake has been made again, and he must again lie to conceal his mistake. Although his intentions are obvious in that he “refuse[s]/to burden your/good grace with [his]/mechanical/twitch” (14-18) and lies out of love, the lying leads the speaker to reveal his true form that is incapable of handling the consequences of his mistakes. Through continuous lying, a relationship is set up for failure and leads to further dehumanization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The repetition of dishonesty leads a relationship to become mechanical and unnatural... Through continuous lying, a relationship is set up for failure and leads to further dehumanization." It's hard to piece out where you're analyzing, and where you're offering your own opinion (ie, these two sentences), because--ironically--you state them objectively/mechanically: concealing your true self even as you voice your beliefs ;)

    ReplyDelete