Friday, February 5, 2016

Self-help book...



The title is there,
promising a lead to Nirvana
if I can find some time,
But really –
who has time to read
380 pages
when a job takes
most the daylight
and beyond,
life rages:

I have to eat, even
quickly; I have to sleep,
more or less; I have
a motherhood – and
children have to be
a mess.
I hollow out
time for a TV show
and a cigarette,
to breathe.

                     Still, The 7 Habits
                of Highly Effective People
                             pleads with me
                      through the dust
           of a book jacket –
     so I reflect
on the title every
morning       just beyond
                 the yesterhaze; just
            before the rush hits.

I heard a new habit,
on the radio,                 chewing slowly.
                                        I tried; I found         another
                        flavor – a mealy
      sweetness     under
                the      scratchy-hard
sponge, when
    bread   dissolves
on  my
  tongue.

I                 started           trying
to               sleep       the same;
            tasting   the tame
and quiet times –
      through                      carlights
in my                                   window            slats,
running             strips of darkness,
until this
and   that     seem
nothing             much.

I remember            those  rests
when   I have   my boys       in tow;
I find the space    between       them
where I am –
happier            than alone?    Loving            that   I
can show
them      about        being good
souls,  and         gentle-
men with a              woman,
before  I                 die.

         So that's three habits,
or maybe just one,  and likely 
    not from my  book,   but still –
I make my husband into our TV
by talking  and      laughing;
      he smiles
  at me,                           for saying,
“I don't think the smoke helps much,
   with breathing, babe. D'you know
                                    another 
                               habit?”

No comments:

Post a Comment