Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Camel ...



            The room was always dark
And, if there was dirt, you
Could never smell it (walls
and floors perfumed with
tobacco smoke and various
alcohols).
                 There was a wooden hat-rack
stand, always just beside
the swing of the screen door,
filled – and I mean full –
with turquoise Camel hats
(old Joe smiling).
                        And uncle Bill would always
give us one: one for Josh
And one for Ruth (to join
The ones we'd faded
back home, where I'm sure
mom was shaking her head).

                             He had a pool – blue & above-
ground too – and we'd
make it deep (for the cap-full
it was) and eat hot dogs,
filled with a vein of yellow
We'd call 'cheese!'
                               I remember those dogs;
loving them. I wouldn't
swallow one now. But I'd
let my kids (if I had some,
Nisse and Des, maybe)
take them in
                   in the back yard, by that
tree-swing for gone-kids,
and in the house let Des
take a taste of beer to
silently say “sorry”
for his name –

     Still I love Erasmus for the
hope (that he never drank
away when dreams made
his world seem heavy
and too slow – dragging
to get there).
          And “Des, just trust me,
you'll never meet your
uncle and stare up at the
the boar's head and touch
the dark traffic light in his
living room –
                   He doesn't have a living
room now. But he
has you and me – I someways
reminded your granddad of him –
and you remind me of … you like the taste?
Good. That's enough.”

4 comments:

  1. For love of those dreamers who come through my life: breaking down in this world, or breaking though. To them and to myself, an anthem: "Store up your moments of truth and rightness, vividness and fulfillment, when they strike you. Feed them down slowly into your persevering feet … until you find such water again. You will; keep your hump full."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Background on the names Nisse (isn't that a pretty girl's name) and Des. … maybe I should have been giving the daughter that drink instead:

    Nisse -
    "In Scandinavian folklore, a "household spirit" responsible for the care and prosperity of a farm. A nisse was usually described as a short man (under four feet tall) wearing a red cap with a tassel.
    While belief in guardian spirits is a very old tradition in Scandinavia, belief in nisser was prominent in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries in Denmark, southern Norway and southern Sweden. Many farms claimed to have their own nisse. The nisse took an active interest in the farm by performing chores such as grooming horses, carrying bales of hay, and other farm-related tasks. These chores were usually done much more efficiently and effectively than by their human counterparts."
    (By Jason Clarke)

    Des -
    "Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus (28 October 1466 – 12 July 1536), known as Erasmus of Rotterdam, was a Dutch Renaissance humanist, Catholic priest, social critic, teacher, and theologian.
    Erasmus was a classical scholar who wrote in a pure Latin style. He was an early proponent of religious toleration, and enjoyed the sobriquet "Prince of the Humanists"; he has been called "the crowning glory of the Christian humanists". Using humanist techniques for working on texts, he prepared important new Latin and Greek editions of the New Testament. These raised questions that would be influential in the Protestant Reformation and Catholic Counter-Reformation. He also wrote The Praise of Folly, Handbook of a Christian Knight, On Civility in Children, Copia: Foundations of the Abundant Style, Julius Exclusus, and many other works."
    (Wikipedia 2012)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The goal here--relating back to Book 3--I feel is to create a sense of home that would be understood across the cosmos throughout the times ahead. You make sure, putting pauses with descriptions and explaining the purpose of specific names and your title, that the reader understands--to the fullest extent--the warmth of childhood memories. You reminisce (sorry I'm dreadful at spelling) and want to create a similar experience for your "child" so that the experience is resonated, and possibly replicated, with the reader. And it is also interesting to note that this private life you've described here became public life (relating to Helen Vendler) when you put Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus into your home field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't expect anyone to connect with this poem beyond myself and my sister -- we were the kids who grew up enthralled by our uncle, who lived hard and died soon; I am the one whose obsessive drive reminds my dad of his bother's addictive personality; I'll be the one who tries to honor my uncle's memory with both love and concern if I ever raise a family -- that we can drink in his name, but also stop drinking in his name.

      This poem is meant to die. And that is what Book 3's introduction is about.
      (I don't know of Helen Vendler -- I just admire Erasmus for his positive-minded approach to adversity).

      Delete