Friday, December 7, 2012

Popeye: a canto ...



'You can't Can't CAN'T
get attached to them all.'
a dog soul surgeon cares
for what he sees and then
comes clean (hands, heart,
all of him) turning to leave.

But I can't Can't CAN'T
stop thinking about you:
Your eyes jumping, Your
slow breath / fast tail when
my arms take your chest
and my forehead, your head.

Can't stop your runny nose:
that sometimes-death for a
shelter dog when the house
is full. The house was full, you
were dripping out of those
holes – your paws in mine, too.

I'm a long-haul volunteer; you're
another passing stray. But pedigrees
lie: there's more between 'You are
what you are; I am what I am.'
Be there when I come back,
Popeye – I'll take you if I can.

*

I can't Can't CAN'T wait. Where
is he? “Rescue picked him up.”
Which one? “I can't say, for
privacy – I Can't let you know.”
My clawing heart: angry, light.
I love you, Pop; I'm letting go.

1 comment:

  1. CANTO – “The canto is a principal form of division in a long poem, especially the epic. The word comes from Italian, meaning 'song' or singing.” But really, this is a “CAN'T-o.” {“Oh,” you think. (Groaaaan.)} So I was just making a joke.

    (I added that subheading retroactively, on the 5th, when I found out – call it a silly celebration. This poem didn't start humorously at all, but I'm glad it can end so).

    ReplyDelete