Thursday, February 22, 2024

Can't take credit for your best self...



Some people are work,
And leave me thinking,                      “This? I deserve a wage.”
Some people are jerks,
And tempt me to believe      “There's good reason for my rage.”
Some people miss the point,
And I find myself waaaaving it at them,                  jerkishly.
Some people disappoint,
And I find myself bitter, so friends have to do work on me.

But then some people give,
And I find myself tempted to share my own overflow.
Some people let others live,
So I fall into stillness beside them, slowly letting go.
Some people teach me kindly,
So I start seeing myself in those who need—
                                       “as I once needed, right?”
Some people laugh widely,
And I lose myself, 
               just longing to give fuel to their light.

All of those, and none, are me:
                        “You mirror, 
                                          you trampoline,
you sponge drunk-fat 
                             and empty-squeezed;
    You face echoing faces,    you loop
                returning strain and peace,
   You light charged by 
                              the oldest lights
    and at 
            each moment 
                           spilling anew.”

No comments:

Post a Comment