Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Threshold...




Somewhere between your chafed fist 
                                                                               and my face, 
                                                               I see a more genuine you
—no lies,   no polish, 
 all honesty—
                                                           And I begin
                         wading through feelings in the air 

coming off your skin:
anger not at me, 
fear not about me,
distractions not by me.

                    In that moment,                 
                       I love you.

              And you become vulnerable:
 
                Predictable 
        in the path of your eyes,
       the reflex of your twitches, the
              tempo 
                       of your chest.


                                                          I guide you gently to the ground,
you making many noises 
      that sop into
                                                     my fingers like a hum.
                                                And being so 
                with your soul,
                                              I expand my center, 
                                                           rise from earth ( 
                                 which my toes breathe through 
                                                 like root-ends).

                              I look at you
                   from the back of my skull,
                     from behind my mind,
                    from a place where we
                           are so small as
                          to be the same.

                                       And I 
                       strike you
                       to shake 
                              us free.

   So you cry, and relax
     into a peace.

                                                 And if someone had asked you,
                                                      in that moment of clear,
                                                           “A violent strike?” 
        You'd
     have said, 

                                 “Not 
                                   the least.”

No comments:

Post a Comment