Friday, May 24, 2024

Loving the burger ...


                                 I                                              don’t know about you,
                           but                                                             for me personally,
                       I do love hamburgers         in the deep & full sense of the word:

                             I love them       overcooked                     or underdone,
                           One hour        too long                                       in the sun,
                             With pickle juice seeping                            into the bun
                                  And dripping across         and     down my hand.

                             I love         the spirit                                  of the cow,
                        That once      grazed a field     (moving through me now),
                 With the wheat         and the lettuce leaf             that wholly shroud
                                    This         creature                 of the land.

                          I mean, I                            love you too,  
                          doubled over sick       and                     at a loss for words
                               or shining-eyed  and       head-over-heals sociable—
but also 
hamburgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment