Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lizzy ...




I stretch-stepped down the runway
   Toward the end of that night
        While cleaners chased the dust up
           (Way too soon). And past the light
            At the end of my glass catwalk, saw
           Standing alone in that purple shade,
       Gazing, the straight-faced daughter
  Of a down-bent vacuum maid.

  Instead of turning back again,
       I reached around behind my dress
           And found a silk rose on the hem.
            I left the back a jagged mess
           Just so I could weave that flower,
         tickling soft, behind her ear.
   "Mine, your mother's, my seamstress'
Hearts all skip for you, my dear."

1 comment:

  1. *The poem arcs like a heart, right?
    By the by, that rose being sewn on the hem - that's actually from a cluster of Barite "roses" (BaSO4 ... that's right, rocks flower too!!) at the Swenson Hall of Geosciences in Iowa.

    Mmm-neat.

    ReplyDelete