Friday, September 14, 2012

Stand slowly ...




I waved goodbye – that was the arm she bit.
But the surface was only the glance of it
(two holes bleeding & a dog sitting, calm –
I knew she wasn't, well before I stood):

She must sense something about you –
She would normally be barking, snapping.
I mean, she's never bitten, but – you know –
She tries to keep unfamiliar things at a distance.
Found her wandering in the desert when she
Was 10 months old – nobody knows for how long
Or what happened. But she's very withdrawn.
We've been doing acupuncture, jasmine,
many things. This is impressive.
“Yes – she's very tense. I can feel it.”

Still, I stood to leave like she was a calm dog –
And on the surface, to anyone far away,
She was. And faster firm than my arm was soft,
She touched me with her eye-tooth hooks.

The top-side is fine, but the hole
By the flexor tendons aches.
Perhaps she just wanted
to pass along the feeling –
We connected, and I think
I catch her meaning:
It's deeper
than it looks.”

1 comment:

  1. For the dog who bit me. Thank you for letting go after I disregarded your tension. Next time I will stand up slowly. ...Unless you gave me rabies, in which case we can just hang out and foam together.

    *& thanks for the perfect leaping dog shot, KL (so much more intimidating when the ball's not left in the picture :).

    ReplyDelete