Sunday, June 10, 2012

Ellie (a song) ...


No one believes me when I say –
"The back-up singer's not – my girlfriend.
She's not a glowing ember, no
She's just another member of the band.”
But they say,
“How can you fools lock eyes and croon
Like you were pining for the moon –
Without that woman making you her man?”

(Well let me tell you)

     It was five years ago –
     When I came on down the road to Santa Barbara ...
     Just looking for a view –
     And maybe a girl or two to break my heart.
     But sitting on a stool,
     I just felt like a foreign fool, a world apart.

I went to The Neighborhood –
But that didn't do me no good – because I've never
Been a brawny lumberjack –
All stubble and plaid and a baseball cap on after dark.
And Wildcats had too much gropin' –
Squeezed out my flame when I was hoping
For an angel's voice to whisper to me, “Hark ...”

          But then Ellie came along
          Screaming, “The silent man is always wrong
          Because no one will press their ear up against his head:
          You've got to cry – out – loud … if you
          Want to be – heard or seen – by anyone – don't you, hon?
          Mean – what you say, boy – scream.”

So no one believes me when I say –
"The back-up singer's not – my girlfriend.
She's not a glowing ember, no
She's just another member of the band.”
But they say,
“How can you lock eyes and sing
Like you were two birds on the wing
Without her making a nest for you to land?”

     Well, Memorial Day came by –
     And the sun was cutting sky over the ocean …
     At a back porch barbeque –
     Where my old friend Ellie damn-well knew I'd come alone.
     So she handed me a beer,
     Then she grabbed me by the ear and said, “Come on,
      Boy – What's the matter with you?
      What the fuck's the matter with you?”

I said, “I'm not a manly man –
And my Swedish skin don't tan –
So who would want me?”
She said, “If your face ain't tattooed 'SINGLE' –
Then until you push in and mingle,
You'll never know.
But if you ain't got the balls to talk to them,
Go up on stage and sing a hymn
And maybe they'll start peekin' up your robe.

          Just get up – and sing a song.
          I'll toss back a few – and sing along.
          Just make sure the words make clear I'm not in your bed:
          You've got to stand – up – now … if you
          Want to meet – someone sweet – just be sure – you tell her,
          'This – chick is not – with – me.'”

No comments:

Post a Comment