Thursday, June 28, 2012

Swollen ...




I got kicked
in the hand today.
And it might be fractured. It might be fractured.
I really should
bow off this stage
because I'm not an actor. I'm not an actor.

But those fresh eyes
on the sidelines look
And I am a model. I am a model.
So I bow back in,
throw a hard, straight kick
as a plea: “Don't coddle.” A plea: “don't coddle.”

     They knuckle back –
     and they're being kind
     by my hand neglecting: being kind; neglecting.
     But I keep her safe
     by my side anyway:
     she's a child I'm protecting. Child-protecting.

     And when I respond,
     I fight for two
     because one's not ready (is not yet ready):
     she needs to grow
     up into these shoes,
     so I hold her steady. I hold her steady

          and catch that arm
          that wants my face –
          and pull it further: pull it further
          than it ever
          dreamed or wanted
          to, for it might hurt her. Just might hurt her.

          I wrap around it
          and drag it down:
          a one-armed pin. A one-armed pin
          like every eel
          or elephant
          had to learn to win. And learned soon to win.

                   Spread out on his chest,
                   he taps the floor
                   and we both agree: we both agree.
                   And she's glad she's safe,
                   but I say, “Heal fast,
                   for your brother breaks too: you'll see.”

No comments:

Post a Comment