Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Foe ...



Looking at you, still.

Don't know what to make of it:
     I used to shake
          for the sake of it,
thinking of you. I will

     Never forget the fight you laid

          Out, which made me choose
               what I only half-knew
     I conceived: I came

          To love, for you challenged me.

               When the road lay in peace,
                    I cared my least, for every
          length came delicately

               Safe- and free-seeming.

                    Your teeth set truth
                         in this, my eyelid skin,
               my womb-float dreaming.

*

What I am now, and here, was first

     Against your press,
          and then, God bless it, for
my kin – for better, or worse.

     You had me thinking up

          To the point of Still:
               faces on hills and all not
     turning toward my voice. “What

          Friend was I, you corpses!?”

               You had me saying
                    to the gray beyond,
          where the pulse divorces,

               Where the pressure elides

                    Its intended channel.
                         Your hands drove me,
               standing in line, bold, beside

                    Men (who 'til then I'd never

                         Tried to trace), before
                              a halldoor's bell, a child's song
                    that our thorns kept clever

                         And full-flushed, playing

                              On these open hills.
                                   My arms – quilts inside – grew
                         their snarlingest nails baying

                              Through your challenge, near these

                                   Soft and precious
                                        sounds, trenching footholds
                              round what I dreamed I'd miss –

                                   Only because you came.

                                        And now you lie
                                             pumpless, dying (un-
                                   intended) this field, same

                                        As I may: gladly.

                                             “Who was waiting
                                                  to soft-sing, warm inside
                                        your arm-branched chest, my Foe?”

                                                                 (I miss you somewhat badly.)

1 comment:

  1. * not often that I get to take a picture of the scene that spurred the poem: I was out for a run in Iowa and came across this (somewhat elegantly sprawled) roadkill cat. As I was contemplating it's aesthetic, two dogs (a bigger lab and a smaller terrier) came out into the road to say hello. The white lab then went about his business, but the terrier wandered over to the cat - more than just sniffing, he looked a little saddened. And when I came back near the cat with my camera, he started barking at me.

    And that got me thinking about why a warrior might insist on respect over the corpse of his natural enemy.

    (the spacing in this one is patterned, rather than aesthetic, this time: the gradual cyclical progression forward like the protagonist's mindset. 0 tabs / 1 tab / 2 tabs / 0 tabs for each stanza line, adding one tab to each progressive stanza, so that by the end, it's 8 tabs / 9 tabs / 10 tabs / 8 tabs. Then 12 tabs for the final realization line.)

    ReplyDelete