Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Crying in the dark ...

(for Neil Armstrong, the astronaut and twice-child, 1930 to 2012)



Space –
I was never afraid of you.
It was Things in the dark,
not the dark place itself
that made me scream
to my mother, at 2,
full of wet hiss
like a rocket – blaring
life and blinded breath
against the space
(growing behind
my back).
*
What were you
thinking when I
came, in my pocket,
through you?
Were you thinking
I was small (I was)
and running on
a long-held breath?
Or thinking
I was a monster,
as all things
that come through the dark:
radio-voiced and
glass-faced, one-eyed
and slow-clawing
the breathless sky,
a mesmeric sloth?
*
I left only a print
of little shoes
in the dust –
never the deep concave
a comet would –
and a curious flag –
just some art
to make my
mother proud –
and went away.
Was I a ghost, space?
Bad or good?
I fell into my ocean,
cradled and screaming.
And lucky (I became):
how many
are ever born
twice into a world?
To cough out the plug
again and breathe?
Space – I will
come back into the dark
and scream no more.
Then
will you tell me?



1 comment:

  1. The three lines of space at the end of the poem are intentional (I tried putting dots on each line ... but those were Things in the space, and I wanted the space itself, growing & continuous)

    Does the poem sort of mirror the rocket plume in the image? In the negotiation between content and vision, sometimes the vision flags in drafts (I suppose I could add spaces within the lines? Widen them out & make them look plumier?)

    COMMENTS WELCOME! (that's what the space is for :)

    ReplyDelete