Tuesday, August 7, 2012

O ...


Selfish with hugs: I wrap
   Too tight, hold on
       Too long – even
             Pit bulls wriggle out of
                            These constrictions;
                                             Children yell, “Hey!
                                                           Let me go” and scream,
                                                               That play scream, “Run
                                                                Away: he's the monster!”;
                                                         Uncles I wrestle say
                                      “He has energy, good control”
                            (not knowing that I don't
               Want to let them go).
       I loan my coat to
anyone who's cold. I
don't wash it. Not yet.
First there's to wear it:
 To bear something
     That's more than mine.

                  Worth it: driving home
                         smelling like  my  best
                           (“best” – you know, the
                                one who understands
                                 How you mean under
                                 What you say out of
                               Who you pretend
                            you are – maybe
                             why she lets
                        me take these
                    from her like
            blood, fast-thin life,
            like I do) friend.
         She fades in time
    But I hold on as long
   as I can to the scent of
  further-than-me, because
    I do come back: just-me.
       & I'm done with me.

1 comment:

  1. The first thing that caught my eye was the formation of this poem. I think it's supposed to be a shadow of smoke? to represent the scent of the best friend and other memories. This is kind of my interpretation of the poem: Though the time has passed and the people are not by the speaker's side, the speaker wants to hold on to those memories as much as possible. The speaker is "selfish" because he's trying to retain anything that is left of the memory and "wraps [too] tight to hold on Too long." The speaker doesn't wash his coat because washing it away would mean forgetting the wonderful memories that came with it.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Eleen Y.

    ReplyDelete