Sunday, March 24, 2024

Love and abuse ...



I know you love me, Honey badger.
           Because you try not to be angry.
           Because you try to stop yelling.
           Because you said sorry for backhanding me
While I was driving us home.

I know that you love me.
           Because you're patient with me.
And you tell me that if I communicate better,
And accept the blame, you'll immediately
Soften and leave me alone.

I know you love me.
           Because you cook meals for me.
           Because you try to say nicely
That I ruined the food again,
And I have horrible taste.

I know you love me.
           Because you still let me come back
After the second time you throw my phone at me.
And tell me you wish the guy you just fucked weren't married,
           Because you'd take him over me in a heartbeat.
After you spit in my face.

I suppose I deserve it.
I told you I went on a date, but I didn't say
She kissed me: you had to read it, going through my phone.
That must've been hard. I wish I weren't
So afraid of sharing with you.

And you say I deserve it,
For trying to keep you from grabbing my computer,
Before throwing my bag in the driveway,
After raising high, aiming, and heel-stomping my injured foot.

           Because I was the one 
who made you feel like you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment