Friday, March 22, 2024

The answer ...




Another knock at the door.
         The edge of a knuckle
         And beyond it, mystery.
                         I jump,       not                         expecting
                                  That      sound       to            come.
                                  I freeze,         not              knowing
                         What I        will         see.

                         I face a choice     as   I               hover
                                  Above this handle, keeping locked
                                  A thick-hinged   plane    of   wood.
                         I cannot both keep safe    from       what
                                  Might be 'bad',   out there,      and
         Welcome in joy       from           what
Might be good.

I could shout,                        “Who is there?”
         To reassure myself—
         But on    what           grounds                   believe
                         Anything from         a          faceless
                                  Voice, when     genuine sounds (
                                  Natural      as         mockingbird
                         Calls) so deftly,   
                                                     disarmingly 
                                                                         deceive.

And here,                                           
                                                           you might think,
         I leave                                the door         
                                                                          closed. 
         Turn my          back to
       The shadows                 outside,            
                                                                      mumble 
                               to myself “Who needs 'em.”

                                                But then I look at my stove's 
                                                                     locked-in light,
                                    blocked square by obstinate, 
                                          carbon-stained bricks
sucking in her bound brilliance each night—
To 'safety'; my fire's opposite.
           her counterpoint.
      her antithesis.

                                        Safety

                                                      is the antichrist 
                                                                    of Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment