Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Hide & Seek ...


It took me 30 years, not 10,              to really start finding myself again:

        To drink my way                                            toward sobriety,
         To scream/snore my weekends                            toward balance,
          To impulse-buy my closet                                 toward a yard sale,
           To sugar/grease my mouth                                       toward a salad,
            To brag my way                                                    down to humility,
             To hate-rage forth                                                        my kindness,
             To lie-twist my seams                            into “I’m not your dream,”
            To slobber/tooth-clack                                       toward a fine kiss,
           To boob-job my chest                                     toward acceptance,
          To punch-kick the drywall                                  toward tender,
         To repeat-shout my views         into “I love how you think!”
        And gun-mount my towers                         to surrender.

                           It took me                                 permanent injuries
                  To myself, to friends,                                  to strangers…
            To forgive my own hands, and your hands, for life'ssting;
         To respect (more than fear)                         this world's dangers.
        To end smooth                                     
                                                                                             as skull bones
         And soft                                  
                                                                    as old leather,
           Complete             
                                       as a puzzle piece:
                  myself  
                             altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment