Tuesday, March 26, 2024

My Pronoun ...



'He' is not good enough.
I've noticed in moments over the years.

          First when I saw my shell
                (“I don't even know how to be with her.”
                 “I'm kind of an avoidant friend.”
                 “I'm afraid to let anyone in.”)

          And friends taught me who I was
                (“I don't think you've ever been in love! Sorry.”
                 “Don't 'should' other people. Understand them.”
                 “You're really bad at taking compliments.”
                 “You're too kind. It's hurting you.”)

          Then I let the world break me open
                (“How do you live like this without drugs?”
                 “I love you, and every love is a stepping stone.”
                 “You seek emotionally unavailable women.”
                 “Who lets you go? You are magical.”)

          And then I felt myself in us
                (“How did you put up with me?”
                 “Because I'm grateful you exist.”)

Full of everyone.
“I” was never good enough; never
why I wanted to exist.

          “We” was why,
          “for us” a good reason,
          “ours” something worth keeping.

“How is he doing today?”
  I'd rather not be.

“How are we doing today?”
  We're smiling now—

How are you-with-me?

No comments:

Post a Comment