Monday, December 14, 2015

Fame (villanelle)...



I wish being human were a sense I could savor
but when I step into light, with my fame in tow,
I see all the worst people on their best behavior.

Oh, just to earn a smile by my kindness, my labor,
My folly – instead of my conspicuous glow:
I wish being human were a sense I could savor.

To build a friend from nothing but a favorite flavor
Or a song, not “You were real on the late-night show.”
I meet all the worst people on their best behavior.

To approach from the back edge, say “hello” to her, then waver
In her gaze – but no: she fawns (I'm a poster in her studio).
I wish being human were a sense I could savor.

To be groaned at in a slow line, or ignored by a waiter,
Before – by my face, voice, or coat tails – they know
And scattle under the appliances of their best behavior.

To be found, and accepted, as charming (not a savior –
Just disarming enough to leave a raw patch when I go).
I wish being human were a sense I could savor.
But I only see people on their best behavior:

All the best people
on their worst
behavior;

All the worst
people
on their
best
behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment