Monday, December 7, 2015

Popular is lovely to watch...

{Image to come:}


I'm glad that I'm not
At all famous as you.

Though I do like small adoration.

I don't like, “I wonder
what he's going to do?”

I cringe at expectation (

you see, right now,
this is my little poem

and even if it goes rotten

it won't be a let-down,
a star's fall, or worse, a stale

standard: lauded, forgotten).

I'd rather just write
for I need to

and shut up whenever that's spent;

only ever myself (
no culture-canned story –

a pleasant breeze, gone as it went).

2 comments:

  1. I think the speaker is trying to convey that popularity is not integral to one’s well-being and success. The pressure that comes with constantly being in the limelight can become overwhelming, as society continuously wonders at the next big thing you will do next. The speaker conveys that even if his work is rotten, “it won’t be a let-down.” This reveals that popularity comes with many expectations, such as that every work you produce has to be exceptional. Thus, the speaker is content with the small adoration that he receives because he does not feel pressured by society to write amazing works. Furthermore, this poem reveals that fame and worldwide recognition are not necessary in order to be proud of the work you are producing. As long as you are content with your success, nothing else matters. I can apply this to my own life because I often feel that there is so much pressure at Mira Costa to succeed on a large scale. However, I remind myself that as long as I am pleased with my outcomes, I should not have to impress anybody else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, more like - you get to pick who you want to impress: there are people in this world who I admire, and if I let them down, I feel it in my gut, because I know they know me and what I'm capable of (maybe even better than I know myself, sometimes).

      Those people, I think, we should work to impress...because it will push us beyond what we would do just for ourselves. But people who don't know us, or don't really care about us--sure: brush it off. Keep doing you

      Delete