Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Popcorn movie...

{The worst movies and the worst relationships
sound very much the same: ill-thought-out.}

When I said I hated you,
A part of me died,
looking into your
unbelieving eyes;

A part of me shaped
like a rodent's wheel,
locked to the sidewall
of a looping reel:

A film too weak,
short, high-dramatic
(where I am the hero,
victim, and static,

Falling on an ever-sharp
sword of good intention
ricocheting off your mirrored
shield's sharp ascension

As you tell me I can
be condescending,
opaque, impermeable –
that, the film's ending).

Such a not worth re-watching
plot – but I had time to waste …
Maybe “I hate you” was meant
for the film, but said to your face.

And in our sequel, seeing
your clear eyes disbelieving,
I realized my first film was
historical fiction (a weaving
Of straw-men under word-
balloons, dolls in place of we,
who should have starred in
a careful, close-shot documentary):

What looked so real,
rendered by my deduction,
was probably mostly
constructed in post-production;

What sounded clean and
played so neatly one-sided
was patent fantasy, for
when is 'Right' clearly divided?

Not even here, where
a childish hero chiding
his seeming-foe notices, “Oh,
below her gnarl, there's love abiding.”

For she is a fool to stand me,
with all the long reels I waste.
And I am a fool, falling time and
again on her jagged eyed, puckering face.

No comments:

Post a Comment